Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

From time to time, people come up with miscellaneous questions:

QUESTION: What can I do about a neighbour who will keep having smoky bonfires?
ANSWER: Rother District Council has a webpage with lots of information about bonfires. See here.

Is anything being done to sort out the appalling traffic situation in Brede Lane at School arrival and departure times?
ANSWER: In November 2013, a special Road Safety Week was held. Please see the report on the Sussex Police website by clicking here.

QUESTION: Can a farmer keep a bull in a field crossed by a public path?
ANSWER: It depends. A bull of up to ten months old, yes. Bulls over ten months of a recognised dairy breed (Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are banned from the fields crossed by public paths under all circumstances. All other bulls over ten months are banned unless accompanied by cows or heifers. If any bulls act in a way which endangers the public, an offence may be committed under health and safety legislation.
(Information from Ramblers Association Footpaths Law)

QUESTION: Where can I find out about Concessionary Fares?
ANSWER: East Sussex County Council has all the information on its Concessionary Fares webpage. See here.

QUESTION: Who should I tell that there is a dead fox on the road outside my home.
ANSWER: Rother District Council arranges for the collection and removal of animals found dead on or adjacent to the highway. This normally refers to cats, dogs or small wild animals which will be collected by the Council's Waste Contractor. Where the identity of the pet owner can be determined, efforts will be made to seek instructions direct from them. To report a dead animal on the highway please telephone the Bexhill Community Help Point on 01424 787000. You can also do this online using the Report-a-fault facility.

Where can I find out about dangerous dogs.
ANSWER: Please look on the Rother website under "dog control". Click here. This is where you can also find out about Dog Welfare, Lost Dogs, Seized Dogs, Dog Fouling and Dogs on Leads. Sedlescombe Parish Council has published a leaflet (updated 2011) called "What you need to know as a Dog Walker in Sedlescombe".


QUESTION: Are estate agents authorised to place "for Sale" boards on land remote from the property involved?
ANSWER: No. One board may be displayed on the property only. Any other sign placed on any other land, including on Highway Authority land such as a grass verge, needs permission.

Sometime overnight a load of rubbish was tipped on the grass verge on the approach to Sedlescombe. Who will clear it up?
ANSWER: As long as it is on the highway verge or on the road or on other Rother Council owned land, Rother is responsible. However, if it's on private land, the owner of the land is responsible. You can either report fly-tipping to Rother on 01424 787000 or online through the report-a-fault system. To read more about this, click here.

QUESTION: I often see a small flock of geese wandering about Sedlescombe Village Green. Who looks after them?
ANSWER: These are domesticated gees that live at the Queen's Head.
Regulars at the pub maintain a fund for their food.

The first geese at the Queen’s Head were Embden crossed with Toulouse. However, there was also a Brecon Buff gander at one time so the current geese are a bit of a pot-pourri. The Embden is a white goose with a long neck and broad body that grows to 20lb (30lb gander). The Toulouse has a grey plumage laced with white and is about the same size as the Embden. The Brecon Buff has a very light brown plumage. (Thanks to information from John Cook, many-years landlord of the Queen's Head)

UPDATE: Sedlescombe Societies Association, a hard-working group in the Village who organise the Village Fayre every year, decided to allocate a small proportion of the profit from the 2011 Fayre to increasing the number of geese in Sedlescombe. Sometimes in the spring you may be lucky enough to see goslings being protected by the older geese.


An article on Sedlescombe geese was published in the April 2012 edition of The Countryman.

Can you tell me who is responsible for cutting the grass verges and keeping the hedges cut back off the footways and roads in and around Sedlescombe?
East Sussex County Council cuts the majority of grass verges both within the Village and in the outskirts. See here for further information.

The Parish Council cuts the grass at the Village Green, the Riverside Playing Field and Playground, the East View Terrace Kickabout Area and at the Brede Lane Car Park. Complaints to the Parish Clerk on

It is the landowner's responsibility to deal with overhanging hedges and complaints received from residents will be referred to the landowner by East Sussex County Council.

The grass verges in Gorselands contain some interesting plant species and the Parish Council has therefore produced a leaflet about the maintenance of these verges. See here.

Is there anything that can be done about my neighbour's loud music?
ANSWER: Have a look at Rother's webpage "Noise". You'll find plenty of useful information there.

QUESTION: There is a wasps' nest in my shed. Who should I contact to clear it as I am worried about my children getting stung?
ANSWER: Rother has a webpage called "Pest Control" which gives details of how to get free advice or how much clearance costs.


QUESTION: How soon should a pothole that I have reported be repaired?
ANSWER: That depends on its size and location. East Sussex County Council's response times are as follows:

A & B roads (not A21 which is the Highways Agency's responsibility)

  1. More than 100mm deep and more than 300mm wide - two hours
  2. 40mm to 100mm deep and more than 300mm wide - five days
  3. Less than 40mm deep - one month

C and unclassified roads

  1. More than 100mm deep and more than 300mm wide - five days
  2. 40mm to 100mm deep and more than 300mm wide - six months
  3. Less than 40mm deep - 12 months

QUESTION: Is there a central contact point for bus and rail timetables in this area?
ANSWER: Traveline is the place. See here.

QUESTION: I note your spelling of Sedlescombe with one "d". I have a Penny Post letter dated April 1843 with Sedlescombe spelt with two "d's".
ANSWER: Yes, the current spelling is with one “d” but, in the 19th century, it was often spelt  Sedlescomb as well as Seddlescomb.  Of course, back further in history, there really was no set spelling for place and other names.  We have on our parish map the following spellings as well:  Setelscumbe, Sedelscumbe, Setylscombe, Selescome and Salescome (both Domesday Book), Selecomb, Saddlescomb, Selecombe, Selscombe, Selscomb. 


Have there been any reports of the False Widow Spider in Sedlescombe? There is so much about it on the news at the moment.
ANSWER: Yes, naturalist and photographer Dave Monk managed to photograph one in May of 2013 in East View Terrace. He was pretty certain it was a "Noble False Widow - Steatoda nobilis but, just in case, he had it confirmed by Peter Harvey the British Arachnological Society National Organiser. Thanks to Dave for sharing his photo with us.

False Widow Spider

Yes there has been a great deal in the news about the danger of these spiders which people think have just arrived in this part of the world. However, according to the UK Safari website, they were first recorded in the UK in Torquay, Devon, way back in 1879, although they appear to have originated from the Canary Islands. UK Safari says "False widows have a reputation for biting people, although in truth, this is quite a rate occurrence. You would need to be very unlucky, or go out of your way to be bitten. They only bite if mishandled or provoked. People who have experienced the bite say it's similar to a bee sting." It's worth a look at the UK Safari False Widow webpage for further details and the opportunity to buy an Identification Chart.

Trough outside Queen's Head
QUESTION: I am trying to track down all the remaining cattle/horse troughs that were erected by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. I recently noticed there is such a trough in your village in the car park of the Queen's Head pub. According to the archives, the trough was not originally located in Sedlescombe. Do you know anything about the history of the trough, When it was moved to Sedlescombe, and where it came from?
ANSWER: This trough used to be outside The Mill at Northiam and was saved from the scrapyard and brought to Sedlescombe somewhere between 1976 and 1980 when road widening work was taking place.
NB: On checking the historical records, the person posing the original question was able to find that the trough was erected in Northiam on 1 June 1933 and was funded by the Hastings branch of the RSPCA.


QUESTION: How can I get my road cleared of snow?
ANSWER: East Sussex County Council is the responsible authority. It has issued a Winter maintenance information pack which details the roads that it does clear. The pack can be viewed by clicking here.

QUESTION: The District Council says it will not clear snow and ice from the Brede Lane Car Park but suggested asking the Parish Council. Will the Parish Council arrange this please?
ANSWER: Sorry, but no. The Parish Council does not carry out any snow or ice clearance. Neither does it provide grit bins or refill them. People can clear pavements of snow and ice outside their own homes or businesses. Householders can get in a small stock of grit to use as necessary. A shovel full of grit will be sufficient for 20-30sq. metres of road or path.